Sunday, March 6, 2022

Today I want to share about Faith and how God uses the one place that challenges me every time I step in it - the Prom Closet.

Why would Jesus single out my lack of faith? 

I hope this has not been you but if you can relate, then we are twins LOL.

Before opening for the season, I was excited, scared, overwhelmed and yes full of doubt. Wow! What a familiar feeling somehow, I found myself back to day one of the Prom Closet 12 years ago. I remembered standing in the hallway staring and thinking...would anyone show up?  After not having normal years of proms, would anyone remember we are here? 

On the day that we had our "work out day" some of our Prom Squad came to get the Prom Closet ready for opening day. We were busy cleaning, hanging dresses, dusting, moving things around, laughing, enjoying each other... it was a familiar feeling of fellowship that only God can put together.

My doubts grew from there.  The little voice in my head was now real voices, many voices really asking the same question.  “Do you think people will come?”  I will admit I as trying to stay positive when just wanting to check it all off.

The real test came the first week of appointments.  That week I had my regular Bible study and the topic was Jesus’s story about the mustard seed that grew into a mighty tree.  I realized God could use my small amount of faith.  He isn't asking me for a mountain size faith (one day I will get there.) For now, my little mustard seed is all He needs if I am willing to let go and sit at His feet.


So, with my little sassy voice I said “fine, ok this is yours and as for my doubts, well, those are yours, too.”

As I mentioned week one of appointments was on like Donkey Kong and I was in for yet another lesson.  First week I booked for the opening month, and it looked like the first weeks of our first season.  But before I knew it (because I didn't learn very well) the second week came around and we were completely booked through the second week of March! 

Can you see what is happening? God singled out my lack of faith. I am the one that set up the appointments and I talked to people before they stepped into the Prom Closet and lacked faith (please anyone? Am I an island?) Oh well.  God wasn't done with me yet because my Bible study the following week in Matthew 14 these verses stood out

Matthew 14:28-31 New International Version

28 “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”

29 “Come,” he said.

Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”

31 Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”

Can you see how I became Peter?  I learned that faith is not defined by a specific moment of doubt. Faith is much bigger than a short time of questioning. Our faith isn't the object of our faith; it's a tool we use to see, and grab hold of Jesus.

As I navigate through my lack of faith, I need to remember to trust that my questions will be met with gentleness. My doubts were met with mercy to allow my mustard seed of faith to grow a little bit more. He took the time to give me grace.  He looked at me! 

If at time you feel the same way, I can tell you this: tomorrow I will doubt again, you will doubt again but we are going to be met with gentleness and mercy. I am not a workout kind of person, but I do know that I need to keep working on those faith muscles!

Blessings, 

Aileen 


No comments:

Post a Comment